Tuesday, June 22, 2010

That Time On The Bus

Ephesians 6:10-18

I can still see her face as she walked down the bus aisle looking for a seat. Her smug, I’m-older-than-you-I’m-bigger-than-you-I’m-better-than-you face. And even though it was the last day of kindergarten for me, and the last day of sixth grade for her, I was not about to scoot over so that she could sit by me. She was of the grumpy sorts, see. And I was content being alone. Or at least not beside her.

The face had other plans. I saw her see me and the emptiness to my right. I stayed put. Didn’t budge. Averted my gaze.

“Move over,” I heard her say. “No,” I replied. “Move over now, or I’ll hit you with my camera.”

My thirty-something self recalls this conversation and wants to remake the scene: No you did’unt. Really? You threatened me? With your camera??? You have got to be kidding. Really??? How old are you?

But that’s not how it went down. I stayed the course. Some months ago, I was speaking with Pastor Hosea, and he said it clear as day, “You are your mother’s daughter.” He’s right. My mom beat up a boy when she was younger. The way she tells it, he deserved it. And the way I see it, she flattened the rascal.

I digress.

The camera was indeed hanging from her wrist, in plain sight. But I was adamant about not letting her get the win. The face, apparently, was adamant about using her camera as a weapon. She clobbered me. Over and over and over until I relented. It hurt. I’m not going to say I moved willingly, but I did move. I hunkered down close to the window and waited until home before I allowed tears to fall.

My point: I was not ready for battle. I was a six-year-old girl sitting on a school bus headed home for summer break. Not once that morning did I think, I should probably wear some armor under my clothes today in case a sixth grader beats me up with a device normally used to take fun family photos.

Ever notice how Satan and his counterparts use the same tactic? Whether it be a hint of a lie or a full-fledged war, the enemy rarely – if ever – gives fair warning.

Ephesians 6:11 says, “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.” Ephesians 6:13 says, “Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.”

1) God tells us that evil will come our way.
2) Through Paul, God says, “be strong in Me and in the strength of My might.” (Eph. 6:10)

Will the cuts and scrapes and bruises and wounds hurt less when wearing the belt of truth or breastplate of righteousness? Doubt it. But when you are a child of God, He will heal those wounds. And the time will come when He says to you, “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.” (Matt. 25:23)

Julie Johnson, Ridgecrest Baptist Church

Pop Quiz: First person to correctly post the whole armor of God will receive $10 off CAMP or Winter Retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment