Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The One Where I Did What I Didn’t Want To Do

Romans 7:14-8:2

It first aired in the fifth season of “Friends,” the one where Joey and Phoebe argue whether or not a truly selfless good deed exists. As I recall, Phoebe thought she had it until someone pointed out how happy she was because of what she did. It wasn’t a selfless act! It made Phoebe feel proud and good and all those things that gave, well, Phoebe the warm fuzzies.

In last week’s Bible study lesson, we talked about how, even though we know and agree with God’s law, we still sin. Even though God’s law is good, and He most certainly knows best, we do what we don’t want to do. Or don’t do what we do want to do. As is the case with Phoebe Buffay. She wanted to give a good deed and receive absolutely nothing in return. But, alas, that didn’t happen.

So we’re all just a bunch of sinners, right? And we’ll get what we pay for. And hate ourselves for messing everything up. No.

Romans 7:24-8:2 says, “Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.”

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! I am a sinner saved by God through Jesus, not because of some great thing I have done but because of who Christ is.

Julie Johnson, Ridgecrest Baptist Church

No comments:

Post a Comment